Tuesday, August 19, 2014

When the tough gets going...


I've thought about this post for a few days now and after mulling it over a bit, I feel ready to post it.  This last few days have been tough.  This is me being real, so settle in, and no judging allowed.

First, I hate being the new girl! Anyone who has known me for any number of years, knows that I am pretty quiet and shy by nature.  Unfortunately, that doesn't work when you have the life of a military wife and your social life depends on getting yourself out there. However, making that first leap is always tough for me.  The one exception was Pensacola, where everyone looked to me to facilitate that leap and people wanted to meet me and know me.  Now that we're back in a normal role, it's up to me to introduce myself to people and make them want to know me.  We had our first command function on Friday and I had already met and spent some time with the CO's wife, but beyond that, I didn't know anyone.  I felt like a little lost puppy dog for awhile, following Jaret around, hoping to meet some of the other spouses.  It's hard breaking into a group of people who already all know each other.  By the end of the night, I'd met a few of these women I'd be spending my days with here in Japan and felt more at ease. Now, here I am, the new girl in housing.  It's our first time living on base, so this is a new experience for us.  I met the lady to our left (she helped me unpack my kitchen stuff) and had already met a couple on her other side.  I sent the kids off down the street to play with the people on our other side, but they weren't interested.  I miss my relationships back home, but I'm hopeful for the ones I will make here.

Second, having a soon-to-be 2 year old in the middle of a BIG move is NO fun!  It doesn't help that said soon-to-be 2 year old spent 3 days sick in the middle of our move out of TLF into our house.  I basically hadn't slept since Friday night.  She woke up with a fever and very congested, so I spent the next 3 nights holding her pretty much all night.  When her fever finally broke, she was so fussy and clingy that I had to be holding her all the time.  Not to conducive to unpacking those few boxes we got with our express shipment.  It's also very trying when you've had so little sleep.  On top of that, our first night here, I had some major insomnia our first night in the house, worrying about how to handle a situation with our neighbors (we hadn't yet met) and various other things.  I finally got to sleep around 3 a.m. and then each kid progressively woke me up, Jonas with a nightmare, Caleigh with growing pains and Emma choking on all that blasted snot! So, needless to say, yesterday I was a blubbering mess.  I have finally slowed down enough to realize the enormity of what's happened to us over the last months. I cried for the friends I miss, the ease of texting and communicating with the people I love, I flat out miss my stuff, but at the same time and worry how we're going to make it all fit.  I miss having people to rely on and help when I need them.  But today, with sleep under my belt and a night of sushi with my hubby, I feel better.  I know it takes time to build relationships and that I'm one blessed lady to have had so many rich relationships back in the states.  I chose to wake up and lay in bed playing with my kids, enjoying their sleepy morning faces and giggles.  I decided that I would not worry about all this "stuff" and enjoy the moment that is in front of me, for in just a few days, I will no longer have a baby...my 1 year old turns 2 on Saturday.  On Monday, my bigs start school and Tuesday, Jonas turns 8!!!! There simply isn't time to worry about trivial things that I can't control.  I am embracing this new life.

Now, for that sushi experience, I know you're dying to hear about it!  We went to one of the sushi-go-round places here where the sushi goes around the middle of the restaurant on different color plates to signify how much they cost.  There is a menu with pictures and both Japanese and English descriptions.  UH, WOW!  Check it out.
 See that one just above 334 yen?  Yeah, that says crab             BRAINS!                                                                                  
And on the right side, yep, you read it right, RAW HORSE MEAT! They also had a "wiener" one...it was a hotdog on a piece of sushi! lol In case you're wondering we did NOT try those! Or most of these for that matter.  We stayed safe with some of the ones below and cooked shrimp ones.



 I have to admit, the roe was a bit intimidating for me, and there was A LOT on it, but it was good!
Now I know something about this!!!

I will finish with another dining experience with our friends from the states who now live here permanently.  And a trip to the Daiso, which is similar to our dollar tree, though some items are more, but these stores are unbelievable!  The kids beg to go back! 

 Plenty of washi tape, along with various others for your crafting needs
 Yes!!! These are just what I was looking for! Lol
 The Japanese know how to do kids meals.  See the little bag?  It's filled with treats, plus they got a sticker to trade in for a toy at the front.  They choose from a whole bunch of pretty nice toys.

  This was what Jaret and I shared.  The only thing not pictured is the Yakisoba.  Delicious meal and even better companionship.

So, when the tough gets going, the going gets eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment